Monday, May 14, 2012

jakarta, indonesia:

Aaaand we're back. A little before schedule, however, unfortunately Sarah and I had to return early to attend the funeral of our incredible grandmother :( 
Instead of two weeks in Indonesia and Malaysia we had about five days away, spending time in Jakarta and Lake Toba in northern Sumatra. Although short, it was still a great little break, and has got me very excited about returning in the near future. I did come away a little besotted to say the least. I'll be posting photos up of these two place in the next few days.


First up, Jakarta. 


Jakarta was really just a stepping point for us to get to Sumatra, however we were keen to get out and about, and try to discover a bit of this massive, sprawling city. It was actually better than I expected. The first thing that struck me was how green and leafy it was. All the streets are lined with beautiful tropical trees and plants (which I just adore). We stayed in the lovely Menteng area which  is full of gorgeous colonial homes and more leafy streets. It was a really nice area to walk around and explore. We then headed to northern Jakarta to check out the historical Kota area which is home to Fatahillah Square - an old square surrounded by old colonial Dutch buildings and then onto the Sunda Kelapa docks. All in all, Jakarta isn't a bad city to spend some time in, you just might need to dig a bit deeper to find some of its hidden gems. 


Next: stunning Lake Toba, Sumatra.






















15 comments:

  1. as usual, lovely images and insights into countries i hope to visit one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. all fabulous shots. i especially like that little garden tucked into the side of the building.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for your loss - I hope that you are feeling a bit better now.

    Can't wait to see Sumatra, I've been wanting to go there for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing photos!! thanks for sharing :)

    xx
    http://nm-clindoeil.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning pictures. I ♥! And I´m very sorry for your grandmother. XOXO from germany!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing photos, as always. Love the mix of colour and B&W!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful images, I really liked them because I'm from nearby (Singapore) but have never been to Jakarta! And, I'm sorry for your loss, wishing you and your family well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos. My husband and I were preparing for a move to Indonesia this year however, it fell through. We're hoping to try again in a couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you for all the kind words and thoughts - so appreciated x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gemm,
    Another great collection of Jakarta.... and made me appreciate that it is actually a beautiful city.
    I particular love the Bunderan HI area near Plaza Indonesia... you can sense a tension between the surge of industrialisation or reformation of the city from a cultural perspective and now known as a global city - through its architecture and spatial planning.
    One thing i hate about Jakarta.... traffic jams! ;-) I really hope you have never been in one! - Pruni

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the picture of the wall with the shadow and totem pole-esque things.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Gemma, what was the name of the hotel you stayed at in Jakarta? That rooftop swimming pool looks amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Megan, we stayed at the Morrissey. Loved it and highly recommend staying there! http://iammorrissey.com/

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I'm heading there in December and am going to book it now - looks amazing and what a bargain! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...